Re: [gNewSense-users] Plan for a 100% GNU system ?

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Plan for a 100% GNU system ?
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 15:29:48 +0000

On 05/11/06, Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi there,

Are there any plans to see one day a 100% GNU system that is to
say with the HURD instead of linux as our kernel ?

I was thinking about the earlier today, that promoting "The GNU
System" might not be such a good idea.

It would be easy for a journalist to come to the idea that there is
the GNU system, over there, and there is the Linux system, over here,
and they are, or at least can be treated as, discrete operating
systems.

When actually, they are the same operating system, with only a different kernel.

So GNU/Hurt or GNU+Hurd would be the best way of naming/promoting such
a distribution, because otherwise it risks marginalising the GNU
Project further.

I was thinking about this while wondering why the GNU Project didn't
fork Debian earlier, when it first fell out like 10 years ago (I
believe FSF funded Debian 10+ years ago, and then there was some kind
of disagreement about contrib/non-free...) and release a distribution
simply called "GNU". I figure their must be a reason, but perhaps its
something mundane like not enough resources back then, or something...

--
Regards,
Dave