Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Trump and software freedom

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Trump and software freedom
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 21:26:18 +0100

we have more chance of democratizing the house of lords (or abolishing
it completely) and a better chance of influencing parliament in the UK.

the EU parliament is pretty much powerless

On 16/09/18 18:24, John Rooke wrote:
> Hi Leah,
>
> On 15/09/18 17:30, Leah Rowe wrote:
>

>> Good thing we're leaving the EU next year.
>>

> I'm afraid its not so simple.  The Directive may well pass into
> law before 29th of March next year, in which case it will
> automatically be transferred into post-Brexit law also.
> Fortunately, we will have another opportunity to amend it when it
> returns the European Parliament, probably in December.
>
> Even if we do leave before it becomes law, we will not be out of
> the woods.  We will be positioned between the two major trading
> blocks of North America and Europe, trying to make deals with both
> of them. They will both demand restrictions on software freedom and
> the Government seems unlikely to object.  So we could end up with
> the worst of both worlds.
>
> The problem with Brexit as it is currently developing is that the
> Government is attempting remove the little democratic control that
> we have over the trade negotiation process.  In addition to
> resisting the Copyright Directive, we need to campaign for more
> trade democracy, not less, so that we can have a chance of
> resisting these attacks. Currently, the Trade Bill is being
> discussed in the House of Lords; please take action to persuade
> them to demand trade democracy
> <https://tradeactionblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/29/fight-for-trade-demo
cracy>.

> John

- --
Sorry for not answering emails for several weeks. Or for shipping
Minifree laptops for several weeks. I'm currently recovering from
Gender Reassignment Surgery, and I'm not allowed to do any heavy
lifting at the moment. I'm bed-ridden at present.

I have outsoured all physical Minifree work (flashing, shipping,
packing etc) to a third party (a friend who I've hired). However, I
still have to handle emails and banking and coordinate with this
person. Until recently I've been mentally drained. There are two
aspects to my surgery recovery: mental and physical. For the last week
or so I've been mentally much better and slowly catching up on work.

Mentally, as of around 5 September 2018 I've made a full recovery.
This means I'm able to do emails and accounting efficiently now, and
coordinate with my remote worker who handles physical labour. Rest
assured, your laptop will ship very soon (if you requested a refund,
one will be provided).

If you're worried that you won't receive your laptop, don't worry: you
will receive it.
If you've emailed me to ask for a refund, you will also receive a
refund. (I always answer emails before shipping anything, to make sure
that I don't accidentally ship to someone who wishes to cancel their
order for whatever reason that may be)

Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer and project founder.

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free BIOS - https://libreboot.org/
Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.

Support computer user freedom
https://sfconservancy.org/
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/