Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Trump and software freedom

From: Rashid Mhar
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Trump and software freedom
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:41:06 +0100

John, thanks for this information. Very useful insight to see what direction future pressures are coming from. We have the EUCD and this US expansive approach. A rock and a hard place indeed if we are to look for competing power blocs to protect internet and software freedom. The easiest to see if the extension of creative copyright however this has been under pressure in all jurisdictions, with massive pressure from global media corporations, Sony, Time-Warner etc for some time. With some resistance (sneaky and self serving imho) from Google, Facebook etc, who seek to avoid running afoul of their special protections as (fake 😜) platforms.

However in the blog I can't find and understand the relevant lines on government procurement regulation, could you help illustrate this a little please?

On the EUCD I did get one reply from MEP's a longish one from Julie Ward, she says she is supporting EUCD because she wants to protect artists. I am considering a reply to her, but I don't think it's open for discussion with her, most of the email is very standard, and it looks like a copy + paste standard reply in most part. I will go through it more slowly at some point, and put relevant parts (if found) on the mail list threads.