[Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 17 April. "GNU/Linux-libr

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 17 April. "GNU/Linux-libre from scratch - finish"
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 23:38:42 +0100

On 10/04/18 21:11, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Please feel free to forward this to those that would welcome it.
>
> You can subscribe to the Manchester Free Software mailing list at:

Good news is that everyone who attended the meeting had managed to build
a working GNU/Linux-libre from scratch system, with a little help along
the way.

There was difficulty with the language customisation.  The book becomes
less descriptive in these sections so I'm not surprised by this.  For
British English I recommend LANG of:

en_GB.UTF-8

For the console settings on a UK keyboard and for UK use I recommend:

UNICODE='1'
KEYMAP='qwerty/uk'
FONT='eurlatgr'

If that font is too small and/or if you need Cyrillic (there is a 8x16
size too) then try changing the FONT line to:

FONT='LatGrkCyr-12x22'

The fonts are stored in /usr/share/consolefonts/ and there are README
files in that directory for some of the fonts.

You can try a font out by using `setfont`, for example:

setfont eurlatgr

but you'll need to add to `/etc/sysconfig/console` to be permanent.

You can reload console to get the saved settings (but it kicks out
console sessions) by:

/etc/init.d/console start

The Grub settings are particular to your hardware, disk partition and
filesystems.  To find the grub 'root' value (not the kernel command line
root value!) try:

grub-probe --target=baremetal_hints --device /dev/sda1

For my system I have:

set root=(ahci0,msdos1)

The Grub 'ext2' module works for ext2, ext3 and ext4.  See what
filesystem module you need (NOTE: you can drop `--target=fs`):

grub-probe --target=fs --device /dev/sda1

for more help:

grub-probe --help

There was confusion on `vi` versus `vim` and the general point of the
same program being called by different names.  Unless you really have a
preference for Vi, you want to be using `vim` not `vi`.  They point to
the same binary program but the program knows the name it has been run
as and behaves differently.  Other programs do this such as bzip2
(bunzip2), bash (sh), xz (lzma, unxz, ...), and so on.

The book recommends that you use (e)udev to get persistent device names
like eth0.  If you do this then you'll have to update the (e)udev
network persistent file MAC address if you run on different hardware to
still get eth0.  Since Debian has moved to not using this method (for
new installs) but to use the new Linux given device names I chose to do
this as well.  For my system this has led to the Ethernet device being
`enp0s25`.

Feel free to ask questions on list about this.

M.
MFS Chair.

--
FSF member #9429