Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Meeting. Tue, 20 February. "Compiling: Turning

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Meeting. Tue, 20 February. "Compiling: Turning source code into runnable software"
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 20:13:27 +0000

== CMake ==

In the talk we covered './configure -> make -> make install' which is
the Autotools based compile workflow.  As we mentioned in the Q&A, an
alternative to the Autotools compile workflow is CMake compile workflow,
which is 'cmake . -> make -> make install'.  CMake is used to build KDE
and Blender, among other projects.  For more information see:

* https://cmake.org/
* https://packages.debian.org/stretch/cmake

== Spectre ==

Intel has released a paper on retpoline and Debian have released an
updated GCC with retpoline capability for Stretch:

*
https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/1d/46/Retpoline-A-Branch-Target-Injection-Mitigation.pdf
* https://www.debian.org/security/2018/dsa-4121

== Exercises for the participants ==

1. Download the source code to GNU Bash using your package manager and
compile it (but don't install).
2. Time the compile with different values of '-j' to make.  (Remember to
make clean each time.)  What is the "best" value?
3. In this compile is it using Bash's malloc or Glibc's malloc?
4. Find out if your GCC has retpoline support or not.

M.

--
FSF member #9429
http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=9429