[Fsuk-manchester] Gaming and hardware

From: Rob Johnson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Gaming and hardware
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:10:58 +0000

Hi all

Firstly, I'm sorry I've not been along to MFS meetings for a little while, but I should be coming to more again soon.

I've been meaning to chat to people after a meeting, but it's been a while, so I hope it's ok to pick your brains here!

I'm taking the plunge and selling my desktop PC, fancy graphics card and all. For now I'll be using my fairly modern Thinkpad laptop, and turning down the graphics options or playing simpler games.  I was wondering whether to replace the laptop, or invest in some kind of mini-PC, but it seems that everything is a pretty big compromise, in freedom terms.

Does anyone bother with gaming, and what are you experiences, what hardware do you use?  I know people have used Intels NUCs - is anyone still using one, and how is that working out?

I'm also coveting a Dragonbox Pyra!  Has anyone been following this?  It's pretty much a new version of the Pandora from a few years back, with a different person in charge.  https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

On a slightly related note, I've been following progress on the EOMA68 computer card, which someone said they had backed (I'm assuming the Libre Tea version).  If you don't mind me asking, what do you see yourself using it for?

Cheers

Rob