[Fsuk-manchester] MFS Programme 2017

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Programme 2017
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 11:07:08 +0000

== Introduction ==

This is the 2017 programme for Manchester Free Software.  This includes
both what we will do and some suggestions of things we could do if
people step up.

== Will happen ==

=== Monthly Meetings ===

* MFS monthly meetings
** Talks
*** Help much appreciated!
** Other ideas: tutorials, demos, something else?

=== Big Green Happening ===

* Saturday, 22 April
* In Ancoats, same venue as 'Ancoats Festival: Through the Mill'
* Event official title: 'Heaven on Earth'

=== MFS 10th Birthday Party ===

* Founded on 22 July 2007
**
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fsuk-manchester/2007-07/msg00000.html
* 10th Birthday on Saturday, 22 July 2017

=== MFS Debian Stretch Release Party ===

* Debian 9
* https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/
* Should be released in middle of the year.

=== Software Freedom Day 2017 in Manchester ===

* http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
* Saturday, 16th September (3rd Saturday of September)
* Venue: Terrace again or Madlab?

== Make these happen ==

There are other possible MFS events and activities but they need someone
to make them happen; no volunteer, no happen.  Here are some examples:

* International Day Against DRM
** In May this year?
** https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm

* Trade treaty campaigning
** CETA
** Others

The 'Digital Freedom Foundation' are the group behind Software Freedom
Day and they also do other days.  Could you make them happen for MFS?

* Education Freedom Day 2017
** Saturday, 17 March (3rd Saturday of March)
** http://www.educationfreedomday.org/

* Document Freedom Day 2017
** Saturday, 29 March (Last Wednesday in March)
** http://documentfreedom.org/

* Hardware Freedom Day 2017
** Saturday, 15 April (3rd Saturday of April)
** http://www.hfday.org/

Regards,
Mike.
MFS Chair.