Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Science

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Science
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 16:39:38 +0100

Matthew Cliffe <address@hidden> writes:

> Hay,
>
> Just wondering is anyone here interested / involved in the freesoftware use
> in Science / Science academia?

Yes, and in a sometime Daresbury/Manchester context.

Obviously free(-ish) software is really essential for science, and it
was mostly taken for granted long ago (in the days when you were sent a
1/2" tape after asking about the program in a paper because the USA had
rubbish networking...).

I suppose there's something of a trend back in that direction.  However
it's galling that, for instance, I can't freely use
SERC^WDRAL^WCLRC^WSTFC code funded by my taxes that I may even have
maintained, and working on free software supporting Lab projects could
actually get you into trouble in the past.

On the other hand, it's also unfortunate that most people in research
computing support are bound to be beyond the pale in MFS terms for
installing/using non-free software at all.

--
All the study in the world / doesn't make it science  -- Paul Weller