Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Project Novena

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Project Novena
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 15:29:45 +0000

On 2014-04-04 14:40, Leslie I'Anson wrote:
On 4 April 2014 10:37, Bob Ham <address@hidden> wrote:

I am totally dumbfounded by what they've done. We could have had a free
hardware laptop.  Alas.

I understand your concerns Bob however, I fear that if the Novena were not referred to as a "laptop" it may not have received the same amount
of publicity/interest.

I appreciate your comments and taking the time to engage on this topic.

However, I don't understand your argument here. You're right, it wouldn't have received as much attention but that's as it should be; what's been produced is nowhere near as noteworthy as a free hardware laptop. And that's what's crazy: it *could* have been noteworthy. The prototypes *were* noteworthy.

You seem to be arguing that the project should receive more attention than it would otherwise be worthy of. And if that's the case, I do wonder why?

"...Huang says this is actually what most users he's talked to prefer."

I wonder who these users are...?  Who knows, maybe they're lapless?

Yeah I saw that and scratched my head about it. There's another quote which is quite critical as well:

"That might make it hard to actually use the laptop on your lap"

Right, it's not actually a laptop :-)

Anyway, to my mind, the project should not be discredited on account
of bad wording.

I think the project *was* admirable. I'm just amazed and overwhelmed with disappointment over what they've ended up producing.

I also think there's a serious problem in their use of the word "laptop" to advertise it but that's a problem with the business rather than the project.

The fact is, it is open source hardware so if you
don't like it you are free to change and improve it!  As the article
states;

"You can also buy just the motherboard for $500 and use it with your
own case."

Putting aside the fact that I don't have the time to do this, buying a motherboard and making a case wouldn't be enough. I'd also need a display controller and most critically, the battery controller. Those items aren't available as a kit. In order to get hold of them, one has to buy either the crazy box or the ridiculously-priced luxury object.

You could always start your own Crowd Supply project for a laptop
chassis which includes an integrated keyboard and right-way-up
screen...

Again, I don't have the time. Bunnie had the time. Bunnie produced a laptop prototype. Bunnie was close to making a free hardware laptop. Bunnie decided to do make something else instead. Alas :-/

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }