Re: [Fsuk-manchester] The free software movement's dilemma

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] The free software movement's dilemma
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:37:53 +0000

Tim Dobson <address@hidden>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/freesoftware/comments/1ankl5/the_free_software_movements_dielemma/
>
> -> thoughts?

First thought: I won't use reddit because it only allows people who
pass a javascript-powered eyetest to register and the contact form has
another eyetest, so they can't even beg Mister Bwana to let the poor
cripples onto the site.

Second thought: post some discriptive text with links so I don't just
comment on the link. ;-)  Here, allow me to try to summarise:

There are largely two ways of furthering the movement:
Communication of the message and Contributing to a software project.

The ideological free software advocates are focused on the first
point, with people who are doing the second point falling into a much
larger and vaguer group of people who happen to find various things
convenient.

The problem is that nothing remotely interesting has developed in the
field of free software advocacy in a long time – probably since the
release of GPLv3. There have been no new approaches.

It is an activist movement of techies: outward communication is not a
skill that comes naturally. Outward communication must be the skill
the movement is best at.

[END SUMMARY]

Hmmm... was posting a bare link an attempt to show we're also bad at
inward communication? ;-)

Good conclusion.  Not sure I agree with all of it.

Regards,