Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: John
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 20:15:47 +0000

On 20/03/13 14:15:01, Bob Ham wrote:
> Here, you're lamenting the fact that one can't "explain" how to
> install non-free software without keeping the FSF supporters happy.
> Putting aside the issue of the difference between "explaining" and
> "instructing", why would do you want to explain to users how to
> install non-free software in the first place?  Why is there a desire
> to communicate with users about the installation non-free software?

I suppose it depends on who you are talking to. Talking to a Debian
user is easier to say this over here is free and meets the freedoms
while your system does not. The Debian user may look at you strangely
but agree and try to work towards it. OK mentioning USB does not work
with the Hurd and you will lose them but at least they will respect
you.
Talking to a room full of not already supporting FSF users and real
world issues start to become apparent. Want to watch a news clip from
the BBC? Want to listen to almost any music?

FSF.org supports DyneBolic and Trisquel
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Both incorporate MuSE and allow it to stream out via IceCast.
http://packages.trisquel.info/toutatis/allpackages

IceCast recommends OGG but it does mention how to set up an MP3 stream
http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.3.3/icecast2_basicsetup.html

So does that mean DyneBolic and Trisquel should both be removed from
the FSF recommended and we should not promote them, because they have a
package that in turn explains/instructs producing MP3s?

Or are those distributions OK because they do not explain/instruct and
would IceCast be OK if it just hid secret knowledge?

Regards
John