Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:57:18 +0000

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 08:17 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Bob Ham <address@hidden>

> OK, classic internet examples: bomb-making instructions;
> and how to circumvent DRM.
>
> Would publishing those mean that the publisher thinks all possible
> uses of them is OK?  Clearly not!

The issue isn't whether all possible uses are OK but whether any
possible uses are OK.  In my view, and the FSF's, there are no possible
uses of instructions for installing non-free software that are OK.

> 2. if we don't do it, someone worse will do it, without any warnings
> or exhortations to replace the nasty hardware.

> Desire 2 is very strong to me because I've seen too many users
> harmed by following dodgy warningless instructions.

If that's the case then I can't understand why you're lamenting about
keeping FSF supporters happy.  Your desires and those of the FSF
conflict.  There is no resolution to this.

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }