Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about software distributions on the list

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about software distributions on the list
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:52:20 +0000

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 02:22:06PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> I agree that the software/system distinction is confusing, but let's
> not try to make the guidelines simpler than accuracy requires.
>
> Is it healthy if people have to either let misleading statements go
> unchallenged, or reply and contradict people by saying that what was
> just called a free software distribution is only a free system
> distribution because it contains things that are non-free or
> non-software, depending on whose view you take?

No, I agree, not healthy to let misleading statements go unchallenged.

As far as I am aware, no distribution currently meets this definition of
a free software distribution. In effect, this would preclude the use of
the term “free software distribution” until we have a fully free system
including only documentation that is “free software”.

I’m not averse to that idea, though I’m skeptical about the
practicality of setting it down as a rule. I won’t shout someone down
for using the term (you may politely let people know about the dangers
of non‐free software documentation if you wish).

How about simply recommending that “free system distribution” is used
over “free software distribution”, instead of placing further
restrictions to differentiate the terms?

simple system that works.—John Gall