Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: John
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:57:04 +0000

On 07/03/13 17:31:08, Bob Ham wrote:
> On 2013-03-07 15:47, Pete Morris wrote:
>
> > The fact that I am not 'pure blood' does not in and of
> > itself mean that I am unable to have an interest in free software,
> > nor
> > that any comments I or others might make should be unwelcome.
>
> Nobody has suggested that your comments would be unwelcome.  I would
> hope that yourself and anyone else with an interest in software
> freedom  would feel their comments are welcome.

Pete, I would like to hear your comments. As not even a 'Mud Blood'
but an outright 'Muggle' as I use Solaris, HP-UX, Aix and Red-Hat for
my day job I am interested in everyone's ideas. I like the idea of the
freedoms. I just cannot make a living at the moment with it. I support
those that do and look forward to the day when we all can.

> All that has been suggested is that the mailing list have a policy of
> excluding the promotion of distributions that do not adhere to the
> FSF's
> Guideliness for Free System Distributions.  I don't think that's an
> unreasonable policy.

Maybe the Mailing list is wrong for me. I am interested in getting
Libre software working and available for all. I am happy
doing it in small stages with people. It is hard to persuade people to
only use software listed by FSF which are based on Ubuntu which in turn
is based on Debian but not mention Debian because it mentions non free
software.

By that circular logic you should not recommend gnu.org because it
contains a page that mentions Debian. To me a page that says Debian
cannot be recommended is equivalent to the Debian documentation
that says non free software does exist in the world.

I am assuming you would not recommend a Lenovo or IBM laptop because
while some models do support openbios those companies recommend
Windows.

It is hard to speak to people and persuade them that using a
distribution that does not just work with their hardware is a step to
giving them freedom.

Reading MJRay's comments make me think there is hope for me.
Sorry to hear that you are ill.

Looking at the recommended distros, what is stopping everyone using
them? What is the software that is missing or the functionality either
actual or perceived that you would want?

Actually, I think this discussion has been helpful to me. It is
clarifying my opinion of Free Software.

Regards
John