Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 17:31:08 +0000

On 2013-03-07 15:47, Pete Morris wrote:

The fact that I am not 'pure blood' does not in and of
itself mean that I am unable to have an interest in free software, nor
that any comments I or others might make should be unwelcome.

Nobody has suggested that your comments would be unwelcome. I would hope that yourself and anyone else with an interest in software freedom would feel their comments are welcome.

All that has been suggested is that the mailing list have a policy of excluding the promotion of distributions that do not adhere to the FSF's Guideliness for Free System Distributions. I don't think that's an unreasonable policy.

Might I
suggest that if people are so vehemently opposed to speaking with
others who are not exclusively of their own belief persuasion that
they consider meeting up for a pint and a chat to air their points of
view in person.

I am not opposed to speaking with others. On the contrary, I welcome debate to refine policies and identify problems that can damage users' freedoms. That's what we're doing here and it's on-topic.

Discussions may become strained at times but that is to be expected as we're all human and we have a vested interest in these matters. The fact that a discussion could become strained is not a reason to avoid it. We are here to do work, not avoid delicate subjects.

Manchester Free Software is part of the Free Software Movement and thanks to the Internet, this movement is not geographically bound. MJ Ray lives in the West Country. I would love to have a drink with him and discuss the finer points of Debian's freeness but unfortunately, that isn't very practical. What we can do, though, is discuss such matters on this mailing list.

That we have a Debian Developer here and willing to argue for Debian in discussions about the distribution's freedom and MFS policy, is something that I value, even though I may argue diametrically opposed views.

It will give my inbox a rest if nothing else...

I assume from this comment that list messages are arriving in your main inbox. If that's the case, can I suggest that you use a mail processing program like procmail to separate list messages into separate mail folders?

  http://www.procmail.org/

After all, this is a discussion list rather than an announcement list so long threads are to be expected.

Kind regards,

Bob

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>