Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: Pete Morris
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 15:47:51 +0000

I don't claim to be the world's expert on free software, but as I understand
it, the inception of the concept was built around the believe that people
should be empowered. So far this past week I've read through what has amounted
to some very emotion arguments that have absolutely nothing to do with
empowering others and far more to do with winning an argument.

I rarely post to this list anymore because when I do I tend to find the
resulting 'debate' is stressful. However I do continue to read what gets posted
on it because it is often interesting to keep up to speed with the free
software world. This last week hasn't been interesting at all and has reminded
me more of a fundamentalist religion than a group of people seeking to empower
others.

I personally find Debian remarkably 'free' to begin with. I use a mixture of
Windows and Linux Mint, with the odd bit of Ubuntu Server thrown in. The fact
that I am not 'pure blood' does not in and of itself mean that I am unable to
have an interest in free software, nor that any comments I or others might make
should be unwelcome. Might I suggest that if people are so vehemently opposed
to speaking with others who are not exclusively of their own belief persuasion
that they consider meeting up for a pint and a chat to air their points of view
in person. It will give my inbox a rest if nothing else...

Many thanks

Pete