Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Opinions on Wikileaks

From: Llewyn
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Opinions on Wikileaks
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:05:36 +0000

Writing as a non hacker (in the proper sense of the word, I don't know
any markup lang - and I know the difference between a hacker, a cracker,
and a hacktivist):

I find the US governments response to this appalling, though expected.
It is concerning to me that most of the media (and the courts) are not
looking at what has been released, for instance, if Clinton knowingly
sent diplomats into the UN as spies to collect DNA, passwords, etc
(which looks like what happened, the only question is whether she knew
about it) then charges should be brought against her. Instead they are
focused on calling an Australian citizen 'un-american' and a terrorist
(instead of a journalist). Everything I have read so far from cablegate,
suggests a full investigation into US foreign policy, at the least
(along with the cheeky bits that are just kind of a laugh).

The withdrawal of services from companies claiming TOS violations seems
so transparently false (no charges have been made in this matter
therefore nothing illegal has happened on Wikileaks' part) that they
should liable to a lawsuit for not living up to their own TOS... seems a
violation of contract may be in order (though I am no lawyer so this is
more an armchair pundit response to be fair).

As for 4chan, Anonymous or Operation Payback, and others response of
what is, well, payback for the US government doing essentially the same
thing.... all I can 'say' is its exactly what should happen.. whether I
condone the actions or not, one can't expect to shut down information
exchange illegally without expecting others to do the same in turn.

I could probably go on and on.. though it seems like a better discussion
in a pub rather than e-mail.

ever
fwd
/|\