Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply

From: allcoms
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 23:35:34 +0000

In an attempt to appease Mike and the FSF hardcore, what about
gnewsense? Must admit this is another distro on my 'must try' list.
That could be slightly better choice than vanilla 10.10 if we stick to
the lucid repos instead? Just an idea/

Anyone on here tried gnewsense, Debian Mint AND sidux/ mepis who can
compare them on newb friendliness and stability? I've only tried the
last two but not recently.

If the choice of distro is up for debate here- remember what I said:

* Easy wifi setup

* Minimal config file editing, terminal use and compilation

These are SOOO important to stop newbs running as its all so foreign
to the 'double-click setup.exe' crowd.

Like you Mike, I install vanilla Debian and install what I want but
theres quite a lot involved just to get it to where Ubuntu and some of
the more desktop-orientated distros leave you straight after install.
All the tweaking requitred for a basic desktop will be time consuming,
off putting and potentially embarrassing too for us Linux advocates
too so lets choose distro wisely with these points in mind.