Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:50:09 +0000

Anna Morris wrote:
[snip]
> General. Ok, I was thinking maybe mid February - on a Saturday?  So 12th or
> 19th. 12th is better. On on an evening in that period. I guess it depends on
> what time and day is free. Below I have rambled of my idea of the evening,
> and the running order and kit. This is very much an embryo - please let me
> know how you feel and if you think it would be better different, if its not
> practical, to long, etc etc.

Anna and I have agreed to have it on the 19th February as,
unfortunately, Madlab wasn't available on the 14th.

> I was thinking mulled wine and vegan cupcakes (i make), brief introductions,
> and a talk about the *Philosophy side for half and hour*, also introducing
> some basic technical info such as the linux kernel and the library issue.
> Basic tech info to show how politics and computers are related.

Sounds good.

> then a *break,*

Yes. :)

> Then I say we have some time to show some *installs starting *on our
> machines- (laptops??) and we can leave them to happen during the next bit of
> talk.
>
> *then half and hour max on an introduction to the software and how it works*.
> Expanding on some interesting jargon and lots of fun info about software and
> bigging up the simplicity factor. In this I also want a frank *discussion of
> the down sides *of ubuntu. I think its important that people know this early
> on or they wont trust the movement when they suddenly discover a bloody
> stupid bug! (like on 10.10 if you put a capital letter in your hard drive
> name on install it wont let you get past 80%. I spent DAYS trying to install
> for such a lameass buglett!!!!!)

Agreed, its best not say everything is going to bug free, it isn't! :)

> *However *we need to explain this in terms of empowerment - how you can
> actually fix and change things you dont like. Maybe reference Jeremy
> clarksons arguments about if you are not interested in driving you shouldn't
> have a car/ (washing up/wash up), etc. So we Try and excite people to LEARN
> about computers, and explain how powerful it makes them to demand
> improvement and that they should have a right to do this. This obviously
> goes back to the philosophy side - garden of eden point, but we need to give
> real examples of people getting what they want out of the software. for
> example Linux emporium are going to customise some stuff for me when I get
> my computer from them. etc,. This also feeds into the "how can they make
> money." maybe go over the canonical and linux emporium business model very
> briefly.

I like this.

> I think that both of these talks should be done with two people. A tecky and
> a non tecky. This is important to show how much can be achieved by a non
> tech - and that tecks are human too! Also to show that there are people out
> there to help, and that we all work together.
>
> Then we need to end this section by going through quickly the* info you need
> to know for install*l - basically what the computers have been doing while
> the talk was on.
> *
> Then playtime:* let everyone have a go and ask questions to the people who
> run it, have some more food and drink and generally have fun. sell some
> stuff too.
> the whole thing should last maybe 2 hours/ 2.5.
>
> When they leave I want to give them a* "party bag" *with an install disk, a
> sticker or two, some useful websites for help and a fact sheet covering all
> the info. Also leave a chance for them to sign up to some mailing lists etc
> on the way out.

Again, sounds great.

> _______________
>
> ok. its a lot to fit in, but i am very excited.

I can tell.

> As for advertising, and numbers, booking, places, cost? any ideas?

Booking/Place: Done. Madlab.
Cost: Minimal/sorted.
Numbers: Madlab should be able to take about 20-30.
Advertising: Need to get some leaflets/posters. Do this in free
software, Inkscape is good for it.
Ideas: No extra needed, you have plenty.

> I think maybe advertise on gum tree, in a few shops like unicorn grocery,
> and at the unis etc.

Yes.

> Hope you are all well
>
> let me know.
>
> Can we have a planning meeting that is in the real world? I am a bit of an
> dunce with emails, they stress me out!

Can you make the MFS meeting on the 14th December, 7pm Madlab? Would be
good opportunity to discuss.

I've started a page it:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Manchester/UbuntuBeginnersWorkshop11.02

And linked it from the Upcoming Events: