Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:28:03 +0000

Mark Reynolds wrote:
> That sounds like a nice plan but I don't think it's very fair to throw
> people into a 1/2 hour philosophy talk first thing, even if you are
> planning to placate them with mulled wine and cupcakes! I would
> combine this with the introduction to the software and show them how
> to do a few simple tasks, then let people loose on it. This way they
> can see how to do things they might already know how to do on other
> systems so that they're not sat in front of it wondering where to
> start.

I disagree, I think for this event we should have 1/2 hour philosophy
talk at the beginning. Its the reason why a lot of the participants are,
or will be, attracted to using free software and its an excellent
opportunity to show the reason for using free software.

> I also think that it's important to have helpers on hand-say 2 or 3
> for each person attending if possible-even if they know how to do it
> they may want hand-holding through the process. People are often
> scared of messing up somehow in unfamiliar environments-even if
> they've got notes.

I'm guessing you mean one helper to every 2-3 students rather than 2-3
helpers per student! I like as many people to help out as possible,
remembering that this is a system *and the philosophy* event.

> I'd love to help out with this but will have to see how I'm fixed
> closer to the time. Good luck with the idea, I hope it works out.

They'll be work before the event which people can help out with even if
they can't make the event itself.

Mike.