Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply

From: Mark Reynolds
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide, reply
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 12:22:49 +0000

That sounds like a nice plan but I don't think it's very fair to throw
people into a 1/2 hour philosophy talk first thing, even if you are
planning to placate them with mulled wine and cupcakes! I would
combine this with the introduction to the software and show them how
to do a few simple tasks, then let people loose on it. This way they
can see how to do things they might already know how to do on other
systems so that they're not sat in front of it wondering where to
start.

I also think that it's important to have helpers on hand-say 2 or 3
for each person attending if possible-even if they know how to do it
they may want hand-holding through the process. People are often
scared of messing up somehow in unfamiliar environments-even if
they've got notes.

I'd love to help out with this but will have to see how I'm fixed
closer to the time. Good luck with the idea, I hope it works out.