Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Ubuntu begginers guide
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:27:02 +0000 (GMT)

allcoms wrote:
> As for Debian being a better choice I'd disagree- certainly if we're
> talking vanilla Debian rather than a desktop-orientated Debian
> derivative such as Mepis, sidux or Mint Debian (the latter I'll admit
> I've not tried yet but intend to soon). I'd certainly always pick
> Debian over buntu for server deployment but I think we're targeting
> average desktop users here rather than admins.

I must disagree with Mr allcoms here, certainly if we're comparing
vanilla Debian with vanilla Ubuntu rather than an easy-to-use
derivative like UNR.  As long as you don't tell it otherwise,
vanilla Debian installs at least as slickly as Ubuntu at the moment.
It may be a good idea to use some derivative, although I've no
preference between them, but to introduce the debian project rather
than the Ubuntu one.

> There are a few reasons why Ubuntu is better for Linux noobs than
> Debian but the main one for me is definitely the jockey hardware tool
> which greatly simplifies the installation of non-free drivers for wifi
> and graphics devices, the proper functioning of which can make or
> break a desktop users Linux experience. jockey is missing from the
> Debian repos.

Is that a bug or a feature?  Simplifying the installation of things
which take away the users' freedom again is one of the biggest
problems with Ubuntu: its users are left so near and yet so far from
easy freedom.  Aren't things like jockey "enablers" of serfdom?

Other than that, there seem to be a few differences between Anna
and allcoms when it comes to who the target audience for this sort
of event is (anti-capitalist or not), which I'll leave them to
slug out ;-)

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work http://www.software.coop/products/