[Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [GeekUp] Help needed to build GMTPE Database and

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: [GeekUp] Help needed to build GMTPE Database and API
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 09:40:38 +0100

-------- Original Message --------
Date:   Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:43:29 +0100
From:   Ben Gibbs <address@hidden>
To:     address@hidden

Hi all,

As some of you may know, GMTPE opened up their Bus Timetable data to the
Open Data Manchester Group. This inspired the idea of "Bus Fair" -
crowd-sourcing Bus fare data.

At the last "Bus Fair" meeting we agreed that before we can create the
app, we need to get the ATCO-CIF data from GMPTE into a database so we
can query and use the data for the application. And since other app
developers would like to use this data, we decided there should be an
API to this database of GMPTE data. This would mean that up-to-date Bus
data is available to any app developer and will speed up the creation of
apps using this data and get this incredibly useful information to more
people across Greater Manchester. But we realised we will need help to
build this.

So we want you to help us build a system which parses the GMTPE ATCO-CIF
data (which is released weekly, and sometime more often than that) into
a MySQL database (which will be hosted in the cloud) with an secure API
to query the data.

If you think you can help and want to boost democratic access to Bus
information, please come along to as many of the hack sessions below as
you can which we've arranged with support of FlyThe.Coop:

Monday 6th Sept, 2-5pm, FlyThe.Coop
Wednesday 8th Sept, 6-8pm, FlyThe.Coop
Wednesday 15th Sept, 9am-1pm, FlyThe.Coop
Saturday 18th Sept (Software Freedom Day), 11am - 4pm, FlyThe.Coop
Monday 20th Sept, 6-8pm, FlyThe.Coop
Saturday 25th Sept, 11am-4pm, FlyThe.Coop

FlyThe.Coop is on the first floor of the MadLab building, 36-40 Edge
Street, Manchester, M4 1HN.

This will be a great Open Source project and will contribute to the
opening of Bus Data in Greater Manchester by making it even more
accessible. It will also be useful to other regions when their ATCO-CIF
Bus data is released.

Ta, Ben

--
*www.bobop.co.uk <http://www.bobop.co.uk>*