fsedu-developers

Re: [Fsedu-developers] Reorganization of the wiki

From: Wouter Vanden Hove
Subject: Re: [Fsedu-developers] Reorganization of the wiki
Date: 27 May 2003 14:28:54 +0200

Hi,
some questions.

What are your thoughts on
*) Metadata
there are some official standards for packaging e-learning objects?
(LOM, SCORM)

*)Classification
once the project gets large, how do you structure it?

*)Does someone have any knowledge with:
frameworks like
Midgard, http://www.midgard-project.org/
Zope, www.zope.org
Mit Open Knowledge Framework
Apache Cocoon,..
Noƶsphere, the Planetmath.org-engine

Is Flash considered an open standard?
http://www.educommons.org/

Most of the time we talk about content creation.
OK, what what if the content is created?
IMHO the content-creation layers should be separated from the
presentation layer.

If I read a course on algebra it shouldn't matter wat tools the authors
used.

A wiki is good for continuous development, but it's not very suited for
presentation, alos a wiki presupposes that you do your writing online,
unlike cvs.

 I think a kind of library with "stable" releases from the wiki would be
nice. GNUtemberg is a kind a library, but they just contains links to
Free Works.http://www.gfdd.org/
By making a stable release you could optionally go through a peer review
process.

It would be nice if the resulting work is a "package", just like a *.deb
of an RPM-file.
containing:

metadata according to offical standards, like Dublin Core
a XML-masterfile,
some fixed-named directories like
/images,
/css for different stylesheets
/scripts ,containing some useful scripts like convertors to other
fileformats, a script for generating a table of contents,...

the package can then be shipped as a gzipped tarball
of there are many tarballs on a subject a distribution can be made
mathematics, biology,...

for textbooks, the modules of the Connexions Project are a very
interesting case study.
This is the Connexions wiki:
http://bunker.ece.rice.edu:8080/mntb/wikis/

For reference works planetmath.org seems the best system to me.

Wouter Vanden Hove
http://www.open-education.org
http://www.opencursus.be