fcp-general

Re: [Fcp-general] Hello...

From: Aaron Traas
Subject: Re: [Fcp-general] Hello...
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:09:37 -0500

Peter Hutnick wrote:
Did you take us off-list intentionally?  If not, try to remember to
you.  Feel free to reply to this message on-list.

It was a mistake. I forgot to hit "reply-to-all". Been a while since I've been on a mailing list.

You are more than welcome to take a stab at the Algebra text.

On the other hand I would, on a personal level, be particularly
delighted with some home-ec stuff.  I think we need breadth more than
depth at this point.

That's where I'm frankly more interested, at this point. And I agree about the breadth vs. depth argument. If someone sees that something is started, they'll probably be more likely to add.

The biggest problem with me doing history, higher math, and english is
that I've been out of school for so long. I know the stuff, but don't
remember the names and dates and technical terms, and step-by-step
processes.

I understand.  If you /want/ to do these things there is no reason I
can see that you shouldn't use references.  I'm not an IP lawyer, but
my understanding is that facts can't be copyrighted.

Fair enough... but I think I'll work on the cooking stuff first.

As far as I can tell, ODT (which I hadn't heard of until I got your
message this morning) isn't supported by any production software yet. I don't think it even existed when that decision was made.

In any case, I picked LaTeX because it is plain text open format, it
produces high quality output, is freely available, and is
multi-platform.

I don't anticipate many submissions in LaTeX.  I'm okay with that.

I use OO.o regularly for other purposes, but I have some concerns with
using it in this context.  The primary one is that, while it is
conceptually XML (i.e. plain text) based, the acutal output files are
binary, which makes (external) version control practically impossible.
 Using the internal version control will bloat the files, and create
an undesirable editor dependence.

Yeah... revision control of binary content is a major pain in the butt. Theoretically, a version control program could probably make a special case for formats like ODT, and transparently decompress, untar, and check in the XML files (ODT is, in fact, a tarball). But I doubt anything supports that right now. Would be damn cool, though.