Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: Enigma 1.30-beta on macOS Big Sur ready for testing
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:15:05 +0200

Am 19.08.21 um 03:55 schrieb Sidney Markowitz:
I've uploaded a dmg file that should be tried out, built under Big Sur with the 1.30 beta.

https://github.com/Enigma-Game/Enigma/releases/download/1.30-beta/Enigma-1.30-beta-Big-Sur.dmg

Great, thank you!

It was built and tested only on Big Sur, so I have no idea if it will run on Mojave or Catalina. Feel free to give it a go, but don't expect much. Once this is merged into the master branch I'll set about producing a build on Mojave which hopefully will allow for one distribution dmg that runs on all three OS versions.

This was built from the "macbuild" branch on our Github repo.

This is now ready to merge to master. Andreas, should I go ahead with the merge? Once it is in master, then installing from Homebrew can be made to work without any local editing of the formula.

Yes, please merge.

Concerning intl/VERSION, or actually the whole intl folder: I do not really know what we might need this for anymore. We might still need the original gettext to create po-files in the first place (tinygettext only parses them, but cannot create them), but this should not need the sources anymore, only the system's binaries. Feel free to remove intl completely or in parts, otherwise I will remove it later on, when cleaning up the code (after release of 1.30, before I start working on 1.31).

The branch also contains some changes to the build files that I found were needed to get 1.30-beta to build on a Windows machine in the msys2 environment using mingw32.

The good news regarding a win32 build is that in an msys2 build environment for mingw32 with required packages installed, this will build from the distribution sources using a simple

  configure --with-system-enet --prefix=somethingconvenient
  make
  make install

This links quite a bit more statically and requires fewer DLLs in the distribution, so I really am quite mystified about how the zip that was uploaded was built.

Feel free to merge these changes, too.

I built the zip, using the scripts etc/mxe-configure.sh and etc/mxe-dist.sh:

  ./autogen.sh
  cd etc
  ./mxe-configure.sh
  ..
  make
  [copy preview images]
  cd etc
  ./mxe-dist.sh

mxe-configure and mxe-dist are updated copies of mingw32-configure and mingw32-dist, matching my own cross-compilation environment (the name derives from mxe.cc, where I found most of the necessary packages). I didn't want to interfere with anyone still using mingw32-configure and -dist (after all, I didn't know if anyone was actually still successfully using them, and they use different installation paths for the libraries).

Well ... question to all: Does anyone still use mingw32-configure/dist?

The fact that my build needs more dlls was quite a hassle, that's true, but it has the nice side effect that we can see in detail where all those Megabytes of file size of the executable came from in earlier versions: Mostly Unicode support is to be blamed, Xerces and crypto libraries to a minor degree. I found this quite interesting; so if anyone asks why Enigma is so large: 30 MB are Unicode support alone!

By the way ... Sidney, I wrote you mails on March 23rd and May 29th about my switch back from cmake to autotools and a pull request on Github from someone third. I thought you were just busy, but maybe they went to your spam folder?

Regards,
Andreas