Re: Measuring Enigma's performance: A paradox?

From: Daniel Heck
Subject: Re: Measuring Enigma's performance: A paradox?
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:24:48 +0200

Hm... it's hard to know what's going on without more information. Have you
tried using a profiler (e.g. "gprof" or "oprofile" on Linux) to figure out
_where_ the time is being spent? In general, I find CPU time to be a relatively
poor proxy for performance, not just because it is influenced by things like
CPU scaling, but also because it usually doesn't account for time spent waiting
(I/O, memory, external devices) and time spent in other parts of the system
(the operating system, hardware drivers, other processes).

That being said, Enigma's rendering "engine" is indeed antiquated and not a
good fit for the way modern computers update the screen. Rendering in software
and uploading the resulting image to the GPU is simply not efficient any more.
Ideally, we would use the SDL_Render API to let the GPU do all of the drawing
so that we have to transfer as little image data between the CPU and the GPU as
possible. But this would require a significant rewrite of the display code...

Now that I think of it, have your experimented with the way screen updates are
handled in ecl::Screen:flush_updates()? When there are more than 200 updated
regions on the screen, the function simply updates its entire contents, which
might be related to your observation that drawing more is faster.

- Daniel