Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma ones was my favourit game

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma ones was my favourit game
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 23:37:36 +0100

Dear Nico,

thank you for your honest feedback.

As you noticed yourself, you can change the title music
in the options menu. As an alternative, you could let your
computer play any CD or music files in the background
while you play; this way you can choose whatever music
you want. (I guess that's what most players do.)

We changed the visuals of the inventory bar when some
levels started to divert from the black-marble/white-marble
stereotype in multi-marble-levels. The player somehow
had to understand what inventory he/she is currently
using, particularly as the inventory is not fixed to the
marble, but rather belongs to the virtual player you are
switching to. That's why we changed it. You can change
it back by following these steps:
 - Get the file data/gfx32/inventory.jpg from Enigma 1.01.
 - Use an image manipulation program to convert it to png.
 - Save it as data/gfx32/inventory_yin.png and as
   data/gfx32/inventory_yang.png in your Enigma 1.21-
   directory.
 - Repeat these steps with gfx40, gfx48, and (if needed)
   gfx16 instead of gfx32.
This will replace the image of the inventory bar with the
old image in most resolutions. In the highest resolution
(gfx64) you would have to rescale the image; this is not
as easy. The yin-yang-icon will stay in either way.
If you are not computer-savvy enough to follow the
above instructions, please drop a note. If you tell me
what resolution you are playing at (see options menu)
I can tell you which gfx*-directory is the one you
actually need.

We changed the image of the extra lifes to batteries
because the image of a small marble and that of the
extralifes in 1.01 were the same. We wanted to make
clear which is which. After a lengthy debate, we decided
to use the image of a battery for extralifes instead, as
it is universally used for this meaning in other games
as well. You can find the images of the extra lifes in
data/gfx*/it_extralife.png. Change it as you please.
But, actually, it is easy to adapt to the new icon.

As far as I can see, none of the new levels can be
played in 1.01. This seems not to be an option.

May I ask the others on the devel-list:
What is your feeling about the new inventory and
extralife graphics? (Well ... "new" meaning "several
years old" ...)

Best,
Andreas