Re: [Enigma-devel] Some i18n issues

From: Fòram na Gàidhlig
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Some i18n issues
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:14:46 +0100

> Am 07.07.2014 22:39, schrieb Fòram na Gàidhlig:
>> I hav done some testing for my translation (Scottish Gaelic - gd) and
>> have come accross a few issues:
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to fetch the following string with ngettext:
>>
>> src/gui/LevelMenu.cc:312 src/gui/LevelPackComposer.cc:348
>> %s: %d levels
>>
>> Slavic languages will also profit from this change
>
> I see the problem you are having (to those who
> don't know about ngettext: It's about changing the
> translated text depending on a number, like singular
> and plural cases), but I am unaware about the scope
> of the code that needs to be changed for this.
> Actually, we have enough problems with the gettext-
> system as it is (see missing translations on some
> systems), so I suggest not to touch this for a while.
> Of course, if someone is competent enough to do
> this: Please call :-)

I only know how it works in theory: In C++, you might need to add a
macro where you have defined the macro for _(), then make sure that the
script that creates the .pot catalogs picks it up. This is the tricky
part that I have never done myself - after that, you mark up the string
with:

sprintf(buffer,
        ngettext("%s: %d level", "%s: %d levels", level_var),
        string_var,
        level_var);

or

boost::format(ngettext("%s: %d level", "%s: %d levels", level_var))
              % string_var % level_var

For XML, I guess things will be more complicated.

>> 2. String length issues in the credit screen (tested with a resolution
>> of 640 x 480 on Windows 7, Enigma 1.20):
>>
>> a. Gaelic for "OK" is "Ceart ma-thà", Which is considerably longer. It
>> would be great if we could make this button just a little bit wider, so
>> the writing won't touch the edges
>
> This is now fixed with r2441.

Thanks!

>> b. The following string gets truncated:
>>
>> src/gui/MainMenu.cc:116
>> Please refer to the manual or the next pages for full credits.
>>
>> Translation:
>> Thoir sùil air an leabhar-mhìneachaidh no na h-ath-dhuilleagan airson
>> cliùtha shlàin.
>>
>> "shlàin." already appears above the navigation arrows and the . at the
>> end is off screen. I tried fixing this with a \n, but the renderer
>> apparently can't parse it.
>
> Yes, there are more languages with the very same
> problem. However, changing this would need a
> new translation in all languages. To make things
> worse, in 320 x 280, the screen does not fit in any
> language. We will have to find a solution for this
> at some point in the future; it might involve a
> complete rewrite of this screen. I haven't made up
> my mind about this yet.
>
> In short: Won't fix now.

We will need automatic line wrapping here. Probably tricky to implement
if you don't have a function for this in the renderer already.

>> That's all, folks, everything else seems to be working perfectly. Also,
>> I have reached 95% with my translation, and most of the missing strings
>> are the Dante + Oz levels, so I think we're ready to go adding gd to the
>> menus :)
>
> Your translation is now at 100%, congratulations
> to you and all the other translators for your
> great work, thank you!

You're welcome. Thanks for a great game!