Re: [Enigma-devel] Some i18n issues

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Some i18n issues
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:44:16 +0200

Hi,

Am 07.07.2014 22:39, schrieb Fòram na Gàidhlig:
> I hav done some testing for my translation (Scottish Gaelic - gd) and
> have come accross a few issues:
>
> 1. Is it possible to fetch the following string with ngettext:
>
> src/gui/LevelMenu.cc:312 src/gui/LevelPackComposer.cc:348
> %s: %d levels
>
> Slavic languages will also profit from this change

I see the problem you are having (to those who
don't know about ngettext: It's about changing the
translated text depending on a number, like singular
and plural cases), but I am unaware about the scope
of the code that needs to be changed for this.
Actually, we have enough problems with the gettext-
system as it is (see missing translations on some
systems), so I suggest not to touch this for a while.
Of course, if someone is competent enough to do
this: Please call :-)

> 2. String length issues in the credit screen (tested with a resolution
> of 640 x 480 on Windows 7, Enigma 1.20):
>
> a. Gaelic for "OK" is "Ceart ma-thà", Which is considerably longer. It
> would be great if we could make this button just a little bit wider, so
> the writing won't touch the edges

This is now fixed with r2441.

> b. The following string gets truncated:
>
> src/gui/MainMenu.cc:116
> Please refer to the manual or the next pages for full credits.
>
> Translation:
> Thoir sùil air an leabhar-mhìneachaidh no na h-ath-dhuilleagan airson
> cliùtha shlàin.
>
> "shlàin." already appears above the navigation arrows and the . at the
> end is off screen. I tried fixing this with a \n, but the renderer
> apparently can't parse it.

Yes, there are more languages with the very same
problem. However, changing this would need a
new translation in all languages. To make things
worse, in 320 x 280, the screen does not fit in any
language. We will have to find a solution for this
at some point in the future; it might involve a
complete rewrite of this screen. I haven't made up
my mind about this yet.

In short: Won't fix now.

> That's all, folks, everything else seems to be working perfectly. Also,
> I have reached 95% with my translation, and most of the missing strings
> are the Dante + Oz levels, so I think we're ready to go adding gd to the
> menus :)

Your translation is now at 100%, congratulations
to you and all the other translators for your
great work, thank you!

Best regards,
Andreas