Re: [Enigma-devel] Scottish Gaelic translation

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Scottish Gaelic translation
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 22:59:41 +0100

Hi,

thank you for your support.
But I have to admit that I'm sceptical.
Let me explain:
The language with the least number of native
speakers we currently support is Belarussian
with approximately 3,700,000 speakers.
If the numbers in Wikipedia are correct,
Scottish Gaelic is natively spoken by 63,000
people, right?

The problem is not in the number of speakers.
Actually, the problem is in the number of
potential translators. In contrast to most
other projects, Enigma's translations are vast
and ever-growing, as the number of levels
steadily grows. There is no end on the effort.
In languages with many speakers, there are
many people who can continue with the
translation in case the original translator
cannot continue her work. In Scottish Gaelic,
you and maybe Yannis will be the only ones
who can do the translation. It will be a task
for a life-time for you. Are you really willing
to accept this burden?

Best regards,
Andreas

(I wanted to use a Gaelic "best regards",
but Google Translator does not support
it ... what is it in Scottish Gaelic? :-)  )