Re: [Enigma-devel] Bug: activating items with no actor

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Bug: activating items with no actor
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 23:03:08 +0100

Hi,

Am 26.03.2013 22:32, schrieb Raoul:
> Hi Icewing,
>

>> in r2306 it is possible to activate items without an alive actor. If
>> the player has no extra lifes he can activate an item while his last
>> ball dies. In this case, the item gets no actor as a parameter. With
>> it_drop or it_umbrella, this leads to a segfault.
> Thanks for reporting this bug.
>
>> I have found this while playing around with it_drop. I can activate
>> it while my ball is scattering and prevent losing a life if I am fast
>> enough. Is this intented?
> Difficult to say because there is some time between shattering
> and dying. Probably it should not happen this way.
> We need to think again about that in detail.

It should definitely not end in a segfault, that is
right. Should be fixed with r2312, please test this.

Raoul is right in that activation of items without
actors to activate might later be an interesting
idea. After all, there is a difference between the
player and his or her actors, so just because the
actors are all dead, the player hopefully is not ...
and might therefore use the inventory as normal.
However, I don't see a use of this right now, we
might reactivate it later for specific, actor-inde-
pendend items, like remote controls or such.

Best regards,
Andreas