[Enigma-devel] iOS revisited

From: Carsten Pedersen
Subject: [Enigma-devel] iOS revisited
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:25:30 +0100

So first of all I'm new to this list and have only done a quick browse through
the archives where I did find an old thread mentioning the possibilities of on
iPhone port. Lot's of discussion about possible licensing issues but no real
conclusions. I'm a long time Mac and not so long time iOS developer and one of
the first things I thought of when the iPad came out is that an Oxyd type game
would be great for that platform. So I did some Googling and was happy to
discover that the Enigma project made an Oxyd like experience possible under OS
X. I would love to do an iOS implementation and I'd prefer doing it without
using any of the Enigma source, mostly because utilizing the native Core
Animation frameworks would be more efficient and result in much less code.

Writing a native game engine is one thing, level design is potentially much
more work and obviously I'd like to take advantage of all the levels that have
been created for Enigma. So my question is first of all what would this mean in
regards to licensing? If I develop my own game engine (without even looking at
the Enigma game engine source) and include Enigma levels will that still force
my application to be GPL V2? Also even if complying with rules for the Enigma
project could there still be dodgy legal issues relating to usage of the
recreations of original Oxyd levels?  One variant could be to ship the game
with a small set of self designed levels and somehow allow upload of Enigma
compatible XML level files.

It is unclear to me under which conditions user defined levels are submitted
and also the exact origins of the currently enclosed level packs.

I realize that my approach might be frowned upon for not contributing to the
open source project as such but my motivation here is getting the game to run
on iOS and at the same time building my own skills as a game developer on that
platform. So yes go ahead and shoot me :)

/Carsten