Re: [Enigma-devel] OS X Lion

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] OS X Lion
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:13:30 +0200

Hi,

Am 16.08.2011 04:58, schrieb Sidney Markowitz:
Matthias Kirschke wrote, On 16/08/11 5:35 AM:
I'm so sorry that enigma does't work on os X lion. What a pity.  IT's such
a wonderful game. But thanks anyway for making it! Greetings

Enigma uses SDL as its graphics framework. According to what I have read on
the SDL developers mailing list, the current stable release version of SDL,
which is the 1.2.x series, will only run in Lion when SDL is used with the
OpenGL back end.

Could anyone with OS X Lion give a try to start Enigma from the command line with the option "-w"? This would cause Enigma to run in a window instead of fullscreen mode. All detailed reports on SDL 1.2 problems on Lion refer to the usage of fullscreen mode. Let us hope that the window buffers can still be used without OpenGL.

Enigma does not use SDL's OpenGL option. From my reading it
looks like there is no simple conversion from an application using plain SDL
to one using SDL with OpenGL -- that would be a complete rewrite of the
graphics functions.

All future development of SDL is in the 1.3 branch, which is still considered
to be an unreleased developmental version. SDL 1.3 is supposed to be
compatible with Lion. Porting Enigma to use SDL 1.3 should be much more
reasonable amount of work than trying to convert it to using SDL 1.2 with
OpenGL. I started to look at it, got stuck at one point, and have not yet
received a reply to the question I posted to the SDL developers forum about it.

If anyone out there has experience with SDL 1.3 (I haven't had any) and could
help getting Enigma to run under it, even if not on a Mac, I could see if that
allows it work under Lion.

The conversion of Enigma to SDL 1.3 and to OpenGL is on the schedule of topics that should be addressed with priority *after* the next release. There is no schedule for the release of SDL 1.3 and it will take some time until it is part of all Linux releases ...

Ronald