Re: [Enigma-devel] new enigma levels

From: Michael Schultz
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] new enigma levels
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 16:43:45 +0200

Hi,

thanks for your mail.

> Welcome to the community of level authors!
>
> You may have noticed on this list that the Enigma 1.10 release is nearly
> finished. The last developer release announcement on this list is
>
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/enigma-devel/2010-05/msg00005.html
>
> Please try to introduce yourself into the new API which is explained in
> detail in the contained reference manual. We would appreciate if you can
> translate your levels.

I have had a look to the english reference manual. I think I can translate my
level. I used the german manual to write my level. The new denotation isn't
mentioned there yet.

> Concerning your levels I noticed two critical points:
>
> mas05.xml creates the world with a marble positioned on top of a trigger
> that kills itself in the callback. Killing an object within it's own
> callback is very critical and can generally cause app crashes. The new
> API offers an attribute "safeaction" to allow a secure killing (refman
> chapter 4.3.2). Anyway the new API would not cause a callback within the
> level initalization due to the snapshot principle (refmann 4.4.2).
> Please note that I introduced a security fix with revision 2139 that
> protects the app from crashes caused by triggers even with the old API
> emulation.

I haven't found a description of "safeaction" yet. But I will kepp on looking
for it.
Isn't it possible first to kill the item and then set the actor? In some other
levels I did so. That would be the easiest way to fix the problem.

> mas09.xml "Frozen Joke" - *Warning* this level is dangerous as it eats
> up all CPU by an "infinite" loop - see library comment below.

Well, I know. I will delete this level and the function.

> Concerning your Enigmines level you should notice that Brian Huffmann
> published a level with identical functionality and same title some time
> ago. It has already been added to Enigma in levelpack Enigma VII#43.

That's funny! I didn' know that. I'm using enigma version 1.01. The last level
I have is VII#24 "Temple of Gold". If there are new levels I don't have them.
I'm Sorry Brian.
How can I get these lost levels? Do I have to install version 1.10?

> In case you would like to have your numerous variations being added to
> Enigma you should use the same floor coloring schema.

Ok, I will do that, if I get the level.

Greets
Michael