Re: [Enigma-devel] new enigma levels

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] new enigma levels
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 23:39:08 +0200

Hi,

Am 29.09.2010 20:21, schrieb Michael Schultz:
It's my first time, I have written some levels. So I don't know if I have
made all things correct. Please play my levels and report errors to me.
I have tested and solved all levels several times.

Welcome to the community of level authors!

You may have noticed on this list that the Enigma 1.10 release is nearly finished. The last developer release announcement on this list is

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/enigma-devel/2010-05/msg00005.html

Please try to introduce yourself into the new API which is explained in detail in the contained reference manual. We would appreciate if you can translate your levels.

Concerning your levels I noticed two critical points:

mas05.xml creates the world with a marble positioned on top of a trigger that kills itself in the callback. Killing an object within it's own callback is very critical and can generally cause app crashes. The new API offers an attribute "safeaction" to allow a secure killing (refman chapter 4.3.2). Anyway the new API would not cause a callback within the level initalization due to the snapshot principle (refmann 4.4.2). Please note that I introduced a security fix with revision 2139 that protects the app from crashes caused by triggers even with the old API emulation.

mas09.xml "Frozen Joke" - *Warning* this level is dangerous as it eats up all CPU by an "infinite" loop - see library comment below.

Concerning your Enigmines level you should notice that Brian Huffmann published a level with identical functionality and same title some time ago. It has already been added to Enigma in levelpack Enigma VII#43.

In case you would like to have your numerous variations being added to Enigma you should use the same floor coloring schema.

I have also written two libraries for my levels. The first library contains
basic functions and the second is for minefield-levels.

The following function is not acceptable:
function mas.freeze(time)
  local stop = tonumber(enigma.date("%s")) + time
  while tonumber(enigma.date("%s")) < stop do
    -- freeze enigma with CPU running at limit
  end
end

Anyway the new API does not offer any function that accesses the date to ensure future compatibility.

I don't want to administrate my levels, if they get part of the official
enigma package. Leveladministrators please do that for me.

o.k. - Raoul will take care of this.

Greets,

Ronald