Re: [Enigma-devel] XML Files

From: Raoul
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] XML Files
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 22:59:35 +0100

Hi *,

> Please send replies to the mailing list!
> I'm currently on vacation, and only read my email every now and then,
> and others might be able to help you better or might also be
> interested in writing levels. So please do not unnecessarily take
> discussions off the list.
>
> > How do you create an Enigma level file format which you mention is a type of
> > XML file? I tried XML Word format and that did't work. Should I try
> > different
> > XML formats to find which one works eg the puzzles were downloaded in the
> > HTML
> > format, so should I try XHTML?
>
> No. You absolutely need to write the levels in the Enigma format;
> another XML-based format will NOT work.
> Check the enigma reference manual on level writing, it contains
> information on how the files MUST be structured.
> http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/manual/enigma-ref.html#SEC20

An example for a simple xml level can be found here [1].
But is will not work in Enigma 1.01 and below, it's written
for the upcoming Enigma 1.10.

[1]: http://enigma.mal2.ch/index.php?title=New_API_Level_Template

> I'm not up to date on visual level editors for enigma - I've never
> used them. I know that there was at least one, but I do not know if it
> is complete.

No, there is no graphical level editor at the moment. The old ones
like BBE and others can not write levels in the new API. And they also
never covered newer features and game objects.

> When writing XML files, make sure to use an appropriate editor. Using
> editors such as Word is NOT recommended - the file will likely contain
> some special characters that break it. It's best to use a special XML
> source editor; most software developer editors will also work just
> fine.
> Again I cannot give you a detailed recommendation since I do not use
> Windows or OS X.

Every very simple texteditor will do the job.

Greetings, Raoul