Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on iPhone

From: Ingo Klöcker
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on iPhone
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:52:23 +0100

On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Ronald Lamprecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andreas Lochmann wrote:
> > When Mr Jobs says
> >
> >   "The App Store is going to be the exclusive way to distribute
> >   iPhone applications"
> >
> > this means: He wants to control the software. From a legal
> > point of view, we'd give up our rights to distribute the code
> > through other means than App Store -- and we end up with unfree
> > code. "Unfree", because it is bound by a single instance, by
> > Apple, who then is in exclusive control of the software,
> > regardless of what we developers wanted.
> > There might not be a high tax -- but a high price.
>
> I have heard these arguments quite a few times, but I can not agree
> or at least I can not see an essential difference to many other
> situations.
>
> When I rent some webspace on a commercial administrated web server I
> do pay money and the operator determines what software packages I may
> use and he may request extra money if I ask him to install some
> software I like to use. If I do not like his offer, I will choose
> another provider. But I should not blame one provider for not
> offering everything for free.
>
> I don't think that we give up our rights to distribute the code. We
> still can, will and must offer our sources. Look at a magazine
> distributing Enigma on a DVD. They get money for the distribution and
> we can not force them to add Enigma to their next DVD.

From http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html:

  Free software is a matter of the users' freedom to run, copy,
  distribute, study, change and improve the software. More precisely, it
  refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

  - The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

  - The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
    needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for
    this.

  - The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
    (freedom 2).

  - The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
    (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole
    community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a
    precondition for this.

Apple's control over what you install on your iPhone takes away all of
those freedoms to some extent. For example, I cannot install my own
modified version of Enigma. I have to install the version from App
Store. This goes against everything the GPL and Free Software stands
for.

In my opinion, you do the Free Software community a disservice if you
release Enigma on the iPhone.

Obviously, that's just my opinion as a Free Software-loving fan of
Enigma. In the end it's your choice. Because Enigma is Free Software.
Think about it!

Regards,
Ingo