Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on iPhone

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on iPhone
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 01:25:13 +0100

Andreas Lochmann wrote:
When Mr Jobs says

  "The App Store is going to be the exclusive way to distribute
  iPhone applications"

this means: He wants to control the software. From a legal
point of view, we'd give up our rights to distribute the code
through other means than App Store -- and we end up with unfree
code. "Unfree", because it is bound by a single instance, by
Apple, who then is in exclusive control of the software,
regardless of what we developers wanted.
There might not be a high tax -- but a high price.

I have heard these arguments quite a few times, but I can not agree or at least I can not see an essential difference to many other situations.

When I rent some webspace on a commercial administrated web server I do pay money and the operator determines what software packages I may use and he may request extra money if I ask him to install some software I like to use. If I do not like his offer, I will choose another provider. But I should not blame one provider for not offering everything for free.

I don't think that we give up our rights to distribute the code. We still can, will and must offer our sources. Look at a magazine distributing Enigma on a DVD. They get money for the distribution and we can not force them to add Enigma to their next DVD.

BTW in many countries you can even not distribute Enigma on a DVD to a friend of yours without paying royality fees to some central institution, that will never pay a cent to the open source community.

Thus for me it is solely a decision of the customer to buy an iPhone or another brand.

Concerning Enigma I do intend to check the possibility of an iPhone port directly after the 1.10 release. There have been other requests and if the iPhone users are willing to support the project by distribution fees all other users would profit, too.

Greets,

Ronald