Re: [Enigma-devel] Yin-Yang Switch Stone

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Yin-Yang Switch Stone
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:46:33 +0100

Hi Ivan,

over half a year has passed since your proposal for a yinyang-stone.
Some revisions ago, Ronald added this object to the trunk (as you might
have seen), and Raoul and I already wrote two interesting levels to the
theme - you were right, st_yinyang was a really worthwhile addition :-)

We hope you like the implementation and artwork of the new stone,
and thank you again for this great idea! Oh, and greets to Ray
as well!

Best regards,
Andreas

Ivan Wick schrieb:
Developers,I am working with level designer Ray Wick who had an idea for a
"Yin-Yang Switch Stone," i.e. a stone which when hit switches player control
between the black ball and the white ball in the same way as it-yinyang.
 However, in the case of a yin-yang switch stone, the switch must be
activated where it is on the map rather than allowing the player to carry
it-yinyang in the inventory.

This idea could make for some new and interesting Enigma levels so I
implemented it.  I couldn't find a way to do it purely by Lua-scripting
level objects so I made some source code changes.

My first attempt was simply to add support in the YinYang Item's class
(items.cc) for a "swap" message, so that it-yinyang could be activated in
the level's Lua script by other level objects like a floor switch or switch
stone.

My second attempt was to create a new subclass of the switch stone which
called "player::SwapPlayers()" on actor_hit, in addition to otherwise being
a fully functional switch stone.  I also put together artwork for this stone
and added it to the Lua model scripts where needed.

Originally I was working against the released source code for version 1.01.
 I was able to replicate the behavior from my first attempt above easily in
the subversion trunk, however the code for switch stones has
been re-factored since 1.01 and I wasn't sure how to proceed.

So a few of questions:
- What do you think of the new idea and how do the developers decide whether
to integrate new game features like this?
- Is subclassing a switch stone the best way to implement this?  I would be
glad to hear any other approaches and suggestions.  What about making
it-yinyang respond to a "swap" message, should this be left in?
- If this feature is to be integrated, what is the best way to submit diffs
(and artwork)?

Thanks,
Ivan