Re: AW: [Enigma-devel] Enigma v1.01 crash on x86_64

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: AW: [Enigma-devel] Enigma v1.01 crash on x86_64
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:09:56 +0100

Lochmann, Andreas wrote:
thanks for the detailed bug report :-)

Thanks for this full-fledged report for a very critical and nasty bug.

The bug arises from the enigma core libraries written by the project founders in some basic functions not being reviewed or changed since several Enigma versions. In ecl_util.cc in funciton vstrf() the initial buffer size is rather small. Due to the long string of player names this buffer now gets reallocated. But the author of this function did not notice that when looping he evaluates the var args twice without intermediated reinitialization. This is a serious pointer bug that leads likely to a crash.

BTW the used function vsnprintf() seems not to be as portable as the author did assume. I found several report that the return value can differ from the expected ones. This can cause trouble on other systems, too.

This bug is system independent and can effect any Enigma version of the releases 1.00 and 1.01 as theses releases do handle long strings in the evaluation of the ratings files.

An update of Enigma 1.01 would not reach the uncounted Enigma users in time. As the next major release is due within the next months I will fix this bug just on the 1.10 development trunk.

To avoid trouble with the installed Enigma version I will truncate the critical strings in the ratings file by a special routine in the evaluation software. Even though I would be able to update the critical ratings file of all Enigma installations being online within 5 days I will likely provide a fixed ratings in a fortnight with the new statistics update.

With this ratings update all Enigma 1.00 and 1.01 should be stable again. Unfortunatly this means that we have to branch the ratings in future to be able to take full advantage of features in a new branch while maintaing compatibility for the buggy 1.00 and 1.01 in the old branch :-(

Thanks again for the valuable bug report,

Ronald