Re: [Enigma-devel] Error Home directory does not exist.

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Error Home directory does not exist.
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 01:04:19 +0100

Andrew Larned schrieb:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I started Enigma with no HOME environment variable defined, and it started correctly, and created a directory in the Application Data directory. When I restarted it with the HOME variable defined, I got the original error again. I know that both my C and D drives are not full, and I tested the HOME variable with both forward and backward slashes. I don't have any idea how to give Enigma the ability to read/write/execute to the d:/home directory, but I do need to figure it out, because I need to keep my HOME variable for the variety of other programs I have that use it. I don't know how difficult it would be to get the error message to print out where Enigma is expecting to find the HOME directory, but that might be a helpful trouble-shooting clue.

According to your information Enigma does not succeed in reading your "HOME" directory "d:/home". As slash/backslash and upper/lowercase usage does not matter as Enigma performs the necessary convertions the only remaining reason should be access permission problems. Do you use the HOME environment exclusively with applications running on another user account like "administrator" in opposite to a privat user account under which Enigma is executed?

During your experiment without HOME environment set Enigma did create the necessary files at "c:/documents and settings/username/application data/enigma". I added a special startup option to Enigma to allow the location of the data to diverge from the standards - the preference path (see reference manual chapter 1.1). Please try to start Enigma with the following option:

enigma.exe --pref c:/documents and settings/username/application data/enigma/.enigmarc.xml

This should start Enigma using the standard Windows paths even if you have set a "HOME" environment.

Greets,

Ronald