Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma Greek Translation: some questions

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Enigma Greek Translation: some questions
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:36:19 +0200

Alexandros Tasos wrote:
I finished the Greek translation yesterday and sent it to Ronald, but I found later some wrongly spelled strings, which I edited. I've uploaded the "better" PO file. I also have some questions:

Thanks - Enigma had to be translated to Greek :-)

I am just wondering why PoEdit skips the useful and important comments that are attached to the translation strings. Compare the German (hand edited) de.po:
#  level: "Houdini"
#  author: "Ronald Lamprecht" email "address@hidden"
#  comment: "Characters of Michael Ende's fantasy novel 'The Neverending Story'"
#  use: "Denke an Atrax, das Pferd von Atréju!"
#: po/level_i18n.cc:3768
msgid "Remember Atreyu's horse Atrax!"
msgstr "Denke an Atrax, das Pferd von Atréju!"

with the PoEdit Greek el.po:
#: po/level_i18n.cc:3768
msgid "Remember Atreyu's horse Atrax!"
msgstr "Θυμήσου το άλογο της Atreyu, τον Atrax!"

Does PoEdit show the comments and has it an option to store them again?

In Credits, the translation of the string "Please refer to the manual or the next pages for full credits." exceeds the window limit. How can I split it into two lines?

There is also a problem with the Level Inspector with the string "Public Ratings"

In both cases you have to arrange your translation within the given space as the application should run on small displays of 640x480 pixels, too. Most languages make use of a few abbreviations where necessary.

Also, I've attached two screenshots. In "Shot 1", if you look at the title bar, you will see meaningless characters. In "Shot 2", have a look at the User Path and User Image Path. The directories are OK, it's C:\Users\Αλέξανδρος\AppData\Roaming\Enigma. But if I type even a single character in the text field, it is shown incorrectly. For example, the Greek letter Beta is shown as Â. Why does this happen?

The screenshots are missing - but the problem is well known. All languages that use characters besides 7-bit ASCII do suffer from the missings SDL support of reading international keyboards. The SDL developers did eventually face this problem half a year ago. But the support has just been added to the development branch of the next major release of SDL which is not yet scheduled. Finally Enigma will not be able to jump instantly onto a new SDL release until the libraries are supported and distributed on all operating systems.

Greets,

Ronald