Re: [Enigma-devel] Polished Sounds

From: Joe Smith
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Polished Sounds
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 17:38:32 -0400

"Andreas Lochmann" wrote:

Enigma uses a library called SDL to play its sounds.
This lib requires WAVs, as far as I know. No media player
is involved. However, I don't know about any other technical
restrictions on the sounds.

More specificly, Enigma uses SDL_mixer. This has support for several formats, but the only relevants ones are (wav and ogg vorbis). The sounds must be wav files. The system can play Vorbis data in an ogg container file, but would mean Enigma would require a version of SDL_mixer where Vorbis support was compiled in. That only happens if SDL_mixer was compiled on a system with those libraries. I have no idea what distributions have vorbis support compiled into their SDL_mixer.

Anybody with a version without support would hear nothing when an ogg sound effect was to be played.