Re: [Enigma-devel] Polished Sounds

From: Andreas Lochmann
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Polished Sounds
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:24:13 +0200

Hi,

okay, sorry for the delay. :-)

Ronald Lamprecht schrieb:
 What sounds need to be created/polished for Enigma.
 Also what is the desired audio codec:
 Lossy/Lossless?
 WMA    APE
 MP3    WAV
 Ogg

That sounds great :-)

Yes, indeed. We really need some improvements to our sounds
and some have to be created.

Enigma uses a library called SDL to play its sounds.
This lib requires WAVs, as far as I know. No media player
is involved. However, I don't know about any other technical
restrictions on the sounds.

Our current sound table gives some ideas, which sounds are
missing. Bug #7653 is connected to this as well. In particular,
it states st_window as an important stone which misses a sound
when one just touches the glass. Should be something like the
sound of someone punching a large glass sheet. For the shattering
st_window, we currently use the same sound as for the shattering
marble. That's not optimal, an own sound would be better.

One of the key problems here is the timing of the sound: It
has to be fast enough, such that noone notices the delay
between the touching of a stone and the sound the touch does.
This is one of the difficulties, as it restricts the freedom
of the sound designer to fast and sudden sounds; at least
for this kind of sounds.

st-stone.wav should be replaced by something softer. I think
we just decreased the volume till now.

What is the sound of a breaking stone? Shall st_bug have a
different sound then, say, st-stonebreak? Currently it has
none at all. And st_chess doesn't have a sound when jumping
as well. Oh, there are so many objects with missing sounds ...
The blocker stone, cracks in the floor (all too urgent!),
different sounds when touching different stones (entry
"electric"), the extinguisher is silent, the impulse stone
(well, that one should keep silent, though), growing seeds
are silent, the sword is silent, the turnstile uses the
same pushing sound as everyone else ...

Well, you see, there are lots of open things to do, and we'd
be happy about any of them - if I could choose, I'd prefer two
good sounds for the window-stones (touching and breaking), as
there are some new levels featuring the all-improved st_window
for Enigma 1.1, and a sound for the floor cracks, but please
feel free to work on any sound you think should be improved!
An example for the window stone is in Dejavu -> Oxyd -> #26
(Take a break).
If you want to, I can show you how to create a sound profile
for Enigma to test your sounds. :-)

Best greets,
Andreas