Re: [Enigma-devel] Boogies found in Enigma 1.10 revision 1244

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Boogies found in Enigma 1.10 revision 1244
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:14:48 +0200

Andreas Lochmann wrote:
Alexandros Tasos schrieb:
Here are some moooore boogies I found:

   1. Alt+Return does not work with Windows Vista.

Most likely a bug in SDL, not Enigma. The fellows
from SDL have to adapt to Windows Vista as well,
this will need some time. Only after this we can
try to repair the remaining bugs in Enigma in
Vista.

Well - it is not bug, it is a feature. To be more accurate a missing feature of SDL on all Windows platforms (and may be on Mac OS X, too). Just Unix based operating systems allow you to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode without reinitializing the whole graphics part of the application. I remember that I had been wondering about this missing feature, too, when I first played Enigma on Windows 2000.

I suggest that we remove the announcement of Alt+Return from the F1 help screen for the affected operating systems.

2. If you try to mark a level that has only a difficult mode as unsolved (by pressing the U key) and you have set easy mode, it doesn't work at all.

Let's call it a feature that may be changed in future.

3. In 320x240 resolution, when playing a level, the timer is shown on the
   right side, not on the left.

Yes, I can confirm this. However, there are still
lots of graphical bugs in 320x240.

   4. (Translation bug) After performing a search, the string "Search
results" that appears on the upper left corner is not translated into the
   chosen language.

"Search Result" is the name of a virtual level pack, just
like "Auto" or "History". That's why there's no translation:
It's a title, not an ordinary string. I just looked at
index.xsd, and as far as I understand it, translation of
level pack titles is not planned yet.

Translation is neither feasible nor wanted, as it would be bad if some users report problems of certain levelpacks stating the titles in one of the many languages that I do not speak. Note, that we all foreigners nearly everywhere.

5. When performing a search, if no levels are found, Enigma redirects me to my current levelpack (I suggest that Enigma should return a message like
   "No levels found")

Yes, I found this confusing, too.
I'd prefer an empty "Search Result" level pack screen,
this should be easiest, but Ronald surely thought about
this when writing the redirection code?

That is pure 0.92 compatibility as you can search ("find") from within a running level, too. But improvements of the search feature are scheduled anyway.

6. Sometimes Enigma crashes unexpectedly in Windows Vista (this happens
   with all versions of Enigma, it's not a bug that could be fixable)

Okay. Can't do anything here without a backtrace.
Possibly even a bug in SDL, who knows?

I am not aware of this crash. I will try to play and test a little bit more on Vista. But unfortunatly many developer tools are still not running on Vista. That may cause trouble in backtracing such a crash if I should be able to reproduce it.

Greets,

Ronald