Re: [Enigma-devel] Desktop file update

From: Ronald Lamprecht
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Desktop file update
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 22:33:01 +0100

Erich Schubert schrieb:
Hi,
I'm doing some minor update to the Debian package. Or is there a new
(maintainance?) release somewhere in sight?

No - we are aiming 1.10 as the next release.

Anyway, upon preparing the package, I came across a few warning messages:

Anyone volunteers to update the desktop file (trunk/etc/enigma.desktop)?

The translations should probably be merged somehow; I wouldn't put
single translations in there, but add the strings to the po files.

Debians "lintian" checker reports the following warnings:
W: enigma-data: desktop-entry-contains-deprecated-key
/usr/share/applications/enigma.desktop:11 FilePattern
W: enigma-data: desktop-entry-invalid-category PuzzleGame
/usr/share/applications/enigma.desktop

1. the "FilePattern" line should simply be removed (derprecated)

2. And the desktop entry spec doesn't list any PuzzleGame category:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
but:
LogicGame       Logic games like puzzles, etc   Game

i.e. I propose s/PuzzleGame/LogicGame/
(maybe also add ArcadeGame?)

Of course Enigma does not fit into a single category. Listing both categories would be better.

P.S. has anyone worked on getting the screensavers disabled reliably?

SDL 1.2.10 introduced disabling of the screensaver per default while Enigma is running.

SDL 1.2.11 introduced environment SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER to reallow a screensaver optionally.

Note: SDL 1.2.12 and 1.2.13 do crash on any Gamma settings within SDL - no comments from the developers yet. I did downgrade to 1.2.11 after some tries. It is just the Gamma setting that causes problems. Commenting the single line in video.cc (SDL_Gamma(gamma, gamma, gamma)) that calls the buggy SDL lets Enigma run stable without Gamma support.

Greets,

Ronald