[Enigma-devel] Enigma on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

From: Sidney Markowitz
Subject: [Enigma-devel] Enigma on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:36:53 +1300

I installed Leopard on my MacBook (Intel Core Duo) recently, and decided
to build Enigma from trunk to see if it would still work. This is with
the 10.5.1 upgrade and using fink unstable fully updated. Here is a list
of issues I dealt with, posted here for the record. Eventually some of
this should go into the doc/README.macosx file, but it still has to be
sorted out what is specific to Leopard and what had more to do with
quirks in my configuration.

To build Enigma under Tiger I had to upgrade autoconf. I first tried to
install it in fink, then when that was still too old a version I
doenloaded the sources and installed in /usr/local/bin. The Leopard
upgrade did not keep the /usr/local/bin install, leaving the too old
version (1.5) in fink active, and that broke ./configure in the Enigma
build process. The fix was to uninstall fink's autoconf and automake, as
the one that is in Leopard (with Xcode 3.0 installed) is new enough.

The instructions in doc/README.macosx contain some typos in the
instructions for installing Xerces-c. The line

cd /sw/src/fink.build/xerces-c-2.7.0-1002/xerces-c-src_2_7_0

in the file has an extra embedded space. Worse, the shell script that
comes after that is missing a '\' character at the end of lines 2 through 5.

The instructions for running that script will not work in Leopard
because of a security change to the default sudo configuration. The
instructions say to export XERCESCROOT environment variable, which is
then used by the script when it is run under sudo. Leopard uses the
env_reset option in /etc/sudoers to prevent the user's shell environment
from being seen by the root shell. To run the script I used the visudo
command to add a
 Defaults       env_keep += "XERCESCROOT"
to the list of environment variables that the file allows through.

To get ./configure to see libpng I had to use

 ./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib

even though I don't recall having to do anything special to see the fink
libraries before.

The good news is that after all that Engima built and ran fine.

 -- Sidney Markowitz
    http://www.sidney.com