Re: [Enigma-devel] enigma homepage translation

From: Raoul
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] enigma homepage translation
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 21:07:24 +0200

First, thank you for the information, I'm a little bit lost yet.
Feel free to ask everything that's not clear yet.
I think, we should concentrate to the homepage first.
This is easier than the manual in texinfo format or even the gettext po files.
Andreas says:

Every page you do not translate is automatically replaced by its English
version, such that there is always a complete homepage for your Spanish
fellows. Can we contact you each month (or more often) to have the LotM,
news etc. translated?

Yes, You can contact each month, I don't have problem translating LotM
news or other things. My problem is that I can translate easily the text
but I'm lost with things like "compile things" or "html-files", because
is completely new for me.
The whole thing with "compiling" the homepage is not necessary for
just translating the sources. But I you want to test your work on your local
computer, you need to "compile" the hompage.

For translating, you just need to translate each file in the directory:
.../homepage/input/

The most files exist in 3 translated versions:
basename.html: the english original text
basename_de.html: the german translation
basename_ru.html: the russian translation.

Now, you just add a file:
basename_es.html

You can just copy basename.html and translate all english strings
between all the html tags.

Note that there are a few rather technical files like longline.html
which have no content that can be translated. All these files only exist
as basename.html

Now for "compiling" the hompage, that means: glueing together all the
page-fragments you just translated, you need the lua runtime environment.
(http://www.lua.org/, maybe there are packages for your Linux distribution.)

Then just run "lua main.lua" in .../hompage/. You will notice that there
appear many new html files. These files are build from the fragments
in .../homapge/input/. Now, just open index.html with any browser and
test your changes. For switching between the laguages, use the flags
in the top right corner.

-- Raoul