Re: [Enigma-devel] Graphics in POV-Ray

From: Erich Schubert
Subject: Re: [Enigma-devel] Graphics in POV-Ray
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:30:27 +0200

Hi,
I've done quite some stuff with PovRay, and while it's a fun thing to
play around with, it IMHO is very difficult to use it to generate good
graphics for such games.
For PovRay images to look good, you need to have an interesting
lighting (and for that to come out textures with bumpmapping,
non-uniform reflection and absorption etc.).
However this is unuseable for sprite-based games such as enigma, that
require a very uniform lighting to look correct (since the sprites
could be placed anywhere on the screen).
Secondly, enigma doesn't (and IMHO shouldn't) try or pretend to look
photorealistic. It just is not real. :-) Let me just point out how
useless a real laser beam image would be...
Furthermore, as already explained in the SVG thread, graphics at lower
resolutions are better done on a pixel level to have everything
aligned properly on pixel borders. Pixeled images will look sharp at
these resolutions, whereas rendered or photo-based pictures will look
blurry. This especially applies to patterns such as the one on the
triggers.

Of course I'd welcome a high-res image set for higher resolutions;
there is no need for them to look exactly the same, after all.

(And note that I'm not an enigma developer, I just contributed like
two levels, some mini patches and I'm doing the packaging for Debian
and indirectly Ubuntu)

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
   erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
 To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\